Tuesday, June 17, 2008

After the Glitter Fades

As you get older trying to do the same thing you did before gets harder...and strong thunderstorms thrown in the mix didn't help.
I just got back from following Stevie Nicks tour. After work Saturday I left work at Borders and winged my way to Chicago.
I got to the place I thought she was going to be,but found it empty. MMMM....lets look at the ticket...Where?
So figuring out my mistake I had little over a hour to get from the southside Tinley Park to down town Chicago.
Park and run and enjoyed a great show by someone who doesn't seem 60. The only problem was that it was outdoors and you could see the lighting in the distance and hoped that it didn't make it there before the end of the show. I didn't....but trying to get out of the area in driving rain wasn't fun. So instead of trying to find a place at 11:30 at night I just parked the Blazer under a tree there by Buckingham Fountain..(So I saw Buckingham and Nicks in the same night) .climbed in the back and went to sleep...Next morning woke up to the sun and a $75 parking ticket...Thank god it wasn't the boot...
Off I go then to my next stop. Detroit..Motor City...Well Clarkson. I met up with a group of fans heading that way who said they knew the best way to get here...So I followed...Had no idea where I was most of the time. The State of Michigan I believe doesn't have any road that isn't under destruction. Orange cones for as far as the eye can see.
Got to Clarkson and again a great show. Opening act Boston. Replacement lead singer...pretty good.
But this was also an outdoor fest...Doug Fest. Some radio station out of Detroit. Doug Fest....yeah...just doesn't seem right...
Again leaving had driving rain and thunderstorms...this time I thought I would just get out of Dodge...so for the next eight hours it was a top speed of 52 mph back across 94. I rested for a while at a rest stop out side of Joliet. Then home....
First chicago then detroit it only cost me
$312 in gas...better mileage then I could ever hope
$97 for tickets
$40 for parking
$75 for parking ticket
$12 for food
Getting away from the Quad... priceless

No comments: